5 Common Signs That Indicate Alcohol Abuse or Addiction
There are a number of common signs that indicate alcohol abuse or addiction, and it is important to know what these signs are so you can detect a problem early on. Some of the most common alcohol abuse or addiction signs are:
1. Legal Problems Caused by Alcohol Abuse- If you or someone else has legal problems brought about by alcohol use then alcohol abuse or addiction is probably an issue. This can include being arrested for DUI or other alcohol related offenses, and drunk and disorderly charges are also a sign of this problem.
2. Neglecting Your Responsibilities- If you continuously neglect your responsibilities because of alcohol use, whether this is at school, at work, or at home, then alcohol abuse or addiction should be suspected.
3. Using Alcohol to Relieve Stress- Anyone who drinks on a regular basis in order to relieve stress or relax should be screened for alcohol abuse or addiction. If you drink when you are under a lot of stress then this can start a vicious cycle, and every time you have a bad day or argue with a spouse you will reach for a drink.
4. Relationship Problems Because of Alcohol Abuse- If you have a lot of relationship problems and frequent fights over your drinking then this indicates a problem with alcohol abuse or addiction.
5. Using Alcohol When It Is Dangerous to Do So- If you drink when it is dangerous to do so then alcohol abuse or addiction is evident. If you drink before you operate dangerous machinery or when you are taking prescription medications then this is a sign that you need treatment.