1. Hypochondriasis- This is one of the more well known of the Somatic symptom disorders, and most people know what the word hypochondriac means. These individuals are preoccupied with the thought that they have a serious illness or disease, viewing even the smallest physical complaints as symptoms of something far more serious.
2. Body Dysmorphic Disorder- This mental disorder causes an obsession with a physical flaw that seems much more serious and visible than it actually is, or with an imagined flaw that does not really exist. These individuals may have one plastic surgery procedure after another but they will not be happy with the outcome because the problem is in their mind and not their body.
3. Conversion Disroder- This is also one of the Somatic symptom disorders, and it occurs when the individual experiences neurological symptoms such as numbness, loss of sensation, paralysis, blindness, or a loss of hearing. In these situations the cause of the neurological symptoms is not medical. Stress can make the problems worse.
4. Pain Disorder- This mental disorder involves a psychological stress or trauma that results in physical pain. While the individual actually feels the pain the cause is psychological. This can lead o isolation and issues with work and home life, as well as limiting movement and physical activity.
5. Somatoform Disorder Not Otherwise Specified- This is the diagnosis that is given when an individual has symptoms of more than one of the previous disorders, or when there have not been enough symptoms to provide a more accurate diagnosis at the time.