1. One way that teens can relieve stress is to avoid over scheduling. When you are short on time and you have a lot on your plate you may not give yourself much free time. Being too busy means not having enough down time to relax in order to keep your level of stress lower.
2. Get enough exercise each day. Exercise is Nature’s stress reliever. When you exercise, whether you are working out in the gym alone or briskly walking around the mall with friends, this triggers the release of endorphins in your brain. These natural chemicals improve your mood, make you less stressed, and can even help you feel better physically.
3. Take a time out if you feel overwhelmed and need to relieve stress. Find a quiet place to just sit and relax for a few minutes so that you can get your bearings and get your stress under control.
4. Deep breathing is something that teens can quickly learn to do in order to lower their stress levels. Take some deep breaths, concentrating on breathing in as deep as you can, holding for a few seconds, and then exhaling. Try to think of something enjoyable while you are deep breathing and you will feel the stress start to ease up.
5. If you seem to be overloaded with stress then it is okay to ask for help. Talk about this issue with parents, a guidance counselor, a trusted teacher, or even friends. We all feel overwhelmed and need help from time to time.