1. Mental illness is more common than many think, with roughly 25% of the adult population in America suffering from at least one of these conditions and disorders.
2. Approximately 20% of American children under the age of 18 years old is diagnosed with a mental disorder, and this is one of the more troubling facts and statistics.
3. 4 of the top 10 disability causes are obsessive compulsive disorder, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and major depression. These conditions can have an enormous impact on daily life.
4. Around 18% of the adults in the USA will struggle with some type of anxiety disorder every single year, and many of these do not receive any type of treatment.
5. Depression strikes 1 in 10 adult Americans each year and can lead to severe debilitation and disability.
6. 1 in 25 Americans over 18 will experience post traumatic stress disorder in any given year. Symptoms can range from mild to severe, and affect every aspect of life.
7. Around 3% of the adult population in the USA will suffer because of bipolar disorder in every year, and these individuals may require different treatments before an effective treatment regimen is found because of the varying symptoms that are experienced at different times with this mental illness.
8. The facts and statistics show that bipolar disorder may be misdiagnosed as major depression if the patient presents during a depressive stage instead of a mania stage.
9. Schizophrenia affects around 1% of the population, and some may have a single schizophrenic episode and then be fine while others struggle with this disorder every single day.