Alcohol abuse puts you at a much higher risk for many problems and this type of substance abuse can lead to alcohol poisoning, which can be deadly if emergency medical treatment is not sought immediately. Alcohol has both short term and long term effects, and chronic alcohol abuse can damage many organs and systems in your body over time. This substance can cause heart and liver disease, mental illness, social difficulties, and even an increased risk for certain types of cancers. These conditions generally occur over the long term with alcohol abuse, but alcohol poisoning poses an immediate danger that requires emergency medical treatment. If this condition is ignored then you could very well die as a result, because alcohol is toxic to the body in large amounts and even someone with a heavy tolerance can end up with alcohol poisoning.
How can you tell when alcohol abuse has led to alcohol poisoning? There are a number of signs and symptoms that can indicate this problem. If you drink until you are unconscious this condition can occur because your blood alcohol level will continue to rise for some time after you finish that last drink. If anyone drinks until they are unconscious then medical help should be sought for the individual. If alcohol abuse leads to alcohol poisoning and this is not treated right away you could die. It is possible to vomit while unconscious and choke to death on the vomit. Alcohol poisoning can also cause you to stop breathing, your body temperature will drop considerably, and your heart rhythm could become irregular or your heart could stop beating completely.