There are many signs of mental illness, depending on the specific mental disorders involved. Some signs that indicate medical help should be sought include:
- Frequently feeling blue, sad, or down in the dumps.
- Substance abuse, often caused by an attempt to self medicate the symptoms of the mental disorders.
- Significant changes in eating patterns.
- Substantial changes in sleeping habits.
- Thinking that is confused, delusional, or irrational.
- Not being able to concentrate or focus.
- Mood changes that are extreme, with very high highs and very deep lows.
- Extreme anger, often over minor things
- Hostility, acting out, and violence.
- Paranoia or hallucinations.
- Suicidal thoughts or actions.
Other possible signs of mental illness to keep an eye out for include:
- Excessive anxiety or fear.
- Withdrawing from people or activities previously enjoyed.
- Extreme guilt.
- Feeling tired all the time or always exhausted.
- Changes in your sex drive.
- Being unable to cope with daily stress.
- Difficulty relating to people or understanding things.
In some cases mental disorders may have physical symptoms that are caused by the mental illness. These symptoms may include chronic stomach aches, frequent aches and pains, headaches, back pain, and other signs of physical discomfort. If you notice any of these signs, either in yourself or in someone that you care about, then you should discuss this with a doctor or mental health professional.