Many times substance abuse and addiction are caused in part by a stressful career or a chaotic home life that is extremely stressful. Alcohol and drugs are used in order to help you relax and take some of the stress off, but these substances are just as harmful as the stress that you experience each day and there are some ways to relieve stress naturally. It is possible to stop substance abuse and addiction when you address the root causes and learn ways to manage and relieve stress naturally instead of relying on drugs or alcohol and continuing a destructive cycle that ends in devastation. Some ways that you can relieve stress naturally include:
- Get moving. Exercise has many health and mental wellness benefits, and this activity also causes your brain to release natural feel good chemicals called endorphins. These improve your mood and mental health, and will relieve your stress quickly and effectively without any drugs or alcohol.
- Start yoga. This form of relaxation is proven to lower stress in most people, but this will not work for everyone.
- Learn how to meditate. Meditation can help calm and clear your mind, eliminating or at least minimizing any cravings that you experience and leaving you with less stress at the same time.
- Go to your happy place in your mind. Picture a place that makes you happy, and spend a few minutes thinking about what makes this place so great.
- Light some scented candles and take a hot relaxing bath. The scent of the candles will help you relieve stress and the warm water will wash away any tension that you have.
- Listen to music that you find calming.