The addiction recovery process to overcome substance abuse can be a long hard process, but there are some tips that can help you succeed and prevent you from sliding backwards during the recovery process. These include:
- Take care of yourself, and make your addiction recovery the top priority in your life. In the fast paced world it is easy to put other things first and neglect to take care of ourselves, but this will eventually lead to a relapse. Make sure you get plenty of sleep, you eat a healthy diet each day, and you make time for physical fitness activities to keep you in top mental and physical shape.
- Substance abuse recovery must be taken one day at a time, and you will have bad days as well as good ones. Take the time to find out about techniques which can help prevent relapse when you are feeling low, and work at getting through each day. Addiction recovery is a process with ups and downs.
- Keep the lines of communication open. Addiction can cause isolation, and during recovery this is the last thing that you want because it could cause you to fall back into old habits.
- Replace old habits with new ones that are healthy and that contribute to a better life. Make sure you are surrounded by people who are positive and supportive.
- Build an extensive network of support. This network should include friends, family members, professionals, and others who are also in recovery. When you start to feel tempted reach out to those who are in your support group so that you do not relapse.